Sunday, May 3, 2009

Time flies

It is almost 1am and I have to work tomorrow, but I am feeling sick so I can't sleep.  Last post I made was over a year ago.

I am still working and now that I am back I don't regret the decision at all.  I believe the Lord calls me to teach at my school because I am able to empower the kids there with hope and inspire them with dreams that they otherwise may never have known they could dream about.  I don't know what things I do that may make a difference in which kid's life, but I know they do, because I have a very strong belief that this is God's plan in action.  I pray frequently that God will use me to do His work, so I hope I am following his plan.

Being a mom is the best thing in the world.  I love it and am so fortunate that God has blessed me with a beautiful daughter.  My husband is a caring man, who treats me well and is a fabulous dad.  I am truly blessed.  

One thing teaching at my school has taught me is that there are no simple solutions to the problems of children.  It is daunting the task ahead of us if we truly decide we care about the children enough to really do something.  Not only is it daunting, but it is discouraging.  I am speaking about my cousin Merrill now and her husband and their house.  The kid who lit his report card on fire undoubtedly was not intending to burn down their house, yet there it is and their lives are forever impacted by his one careless action.  What can be done for kids like him, who daily choose things that impact the rest of their lives and those around them in such a profound and harmful way?  How do we change the future of children who are destined to march down the same path???  I wish I could say I really knew, but one thing I really believe is that it is the family.  And I don't even mean family in the traditional sense, because a traditional family is not even in the realm of reality for many of them.  I mean the caretakers of the children have to undergo a major overhaul...  Learn how to respect themselves, learn how to respect their children.  Learn how to be proactive and not reactive, which is the way many parents/caretakers are.  They wait until the problem occurs before doing something about it, not predicting it.  The fundamental values of respect for themselves and others is severely lacking.

By no means am I even saying I know anything about this kid or his family.  I just see a pattern.  I just know Merrill and Jeff are hurting badly and no doubt this kid's family is too.  How can we help them all????

No comments: